Sunday, August 5, 2012

Breakfast REALLY IS the most important meal of the day!


I used to hate to eat breakfast! I wasn't really hungry, didn't want to wake up early to eat at the appropriate time, (pathetic, huh?) and I would usually feel hungrier after I ate than when I didn't eat breakfast! A-hem! DUH! There's a reason for that....its called metabolism! You NEED to jump start your day and your metabolism with a healthy, hearty breakfast. This will get your juices running and start burning calories! Although I am diabetic, it is still important to get in some good carbs in the morning to help give you energy.......some of those foods you can choose from are:


  • whole vegetables
  • whole fruits
  • beans
  • legumes
  • nuts
  • seeds
  • whole cereal grains


What are ‘good’ carbs?

The simplest answer to this question is this: good carbs are unprocessed carbohydrates in their ‘all natural’ state – or very close to their natural state. In other words they have been minimally altered by man or machine, or not altered at all. Most diet and health experts agree that green vegetables are the ‘ultimate’ good carb foods. In fact, most ‘leafy’ fibrous vegetables and many fruits are considered among the best carbs to eat. Beans and legumes are also generally included on the ‘good carbs’ list, as are many raw nuts and seeds. Finally, whole-grain foods – including whole-grain breads, cereals, and pastas – are considered by most experts to be among the good carbohydrate foods (although there is some disagreement over this).
Good carbs generally have these healthy characteristics:
  • high in fiber: helps you stay full longer (and avoid overeating), provides sustained energy, lowers cholesterol levels, and helps to remove toxins from the body
  • low glycemic index: stabilizes blood sugar levels and insulin production
  • high in nutrients: natural vitamins, minerals, enzymes, & other phytonutrients promote health and help to prevent chronic disease
  • low ‘energy-density‘ (except nuts & seeds): helps you feel full without a lot of calories, provides sustained energy, promotes healthy weight loss and long-term weight maintenance
  • greater ‘thermic effect’: naturally stimulates metabolism and promotes fat loss
Many popular weight loss diets incorporate good carbs into their eating plans because they are so effective at lowering insulin production and stabilizing blood sugar levels. Also, because of their high fiber-content, good carbs make you feel fuller and help you to avoid overeating – a major problem for many people trying to lose weight safely!~ "Goodcarbs.org"


SO! Now that we have the boring info out of the way....LET'S EAT! :)


I am going to try and post pics of new foods and recipes that I try along the way.


If you are strapped for time in the morning and don't think that you have time for breakfast....try this little pick me up!


  • Crunchy Peanut Butter Granola Bar
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter, (light Jiffy PB is fairly decent!:)
  • 1/2 banana
Spread 1 Tbsp peanut butter over each piece of the granola bar. The granola bars I bought come 2 thin pieces in a package. Slice banana and place on top of the PB. Voila!


420 calories, 23g fat, 37 carbs


You may be thinking HOLY CRAP! That's a lot of calories and fat to spend just for breakfast!! Well don't you worry your pretty little head:) Most nutritionists recommend spending a good portion of your total daily calorie intake on breakfast. If you are still freaking out, try the light peanut butter or just having one piece of the granola bar.


Now if you're looking for a heartier breakfast, you might try this:


Egg White Omelet with Veggies and Double Fiber English Muffin






Again, I know what you're thinking......BLECH! But ladies, let me tell ya....this thing is fabulous! (and satisfying!)


I used:
  • 3 egg whites
  • minced garlic to taste
  • 5 cherry tomatoes
  • a small handful of baby spinach, stems trimmed
  • baby portabello mushrooms
  • red onions, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp low-fat shredded cheese
  • Mrs Dash
I spray a skillet with canola cooking spray. Keep the heat on medium or less as I have found the egg whites cook better slower. Whisk your whites and add seasoning as desired. I use Mrs Dash. Once the eggs have started to set, just throw your chopped veggies on top of the eggs, cover and let cook until the eggs are set and the vegetable are done to your liking. I then flip one side of the omelet over to form a fold and add the cheese on top to melt. I paired this with a double-fiber English muffin I found at the store and toasted it and sprayed with zero calorie spray butter.


OMG! It's ALL about the FIBER when you are trying to eat healthy and feel full! But that's a rant for another day....;-)


For dinner last night, a tried a new recipe and I'm giving it 2 thumbs up!! (My husband may tend to disagree because he is a meat and potatoes guy, but I am doing what I need to do to lose weight and hopefully one day soon, he will join me!:)


Stuffed Zucchini Boats






Prep Time:10 Min

 Cook Time:
1 Hr
Ready In:
1 Hr 10 Min

Ingredients

  • 3 zucchini
  • 1 pound pork sausage
  • 1 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Trim stems from zucchini and slice lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and put in bowl. Mix seeds with sausage, garlic, bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese. Stuff squash with sausage mixture and place in 9x13 inch baking pan. Pour sauce over squash and cover pan with foil.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until sausage is cooked. Remove foil and cover with mozzarella cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 889 | Total Fat: 59.1g | Cholesterol: 102mg


To try and trim some of the fat and calories off of this, I used ground turkey or you can use turkey breakfast sausage. I used LESS than a full pound of meat, and I would suggest only using 1/2 to 3/4 cup bread crumbs as it tasted a little mushy:/ I used less spaghetti sauce than suggested and used the no-added sugar kind. I also suggest that you season the zucchini boats before adding the stuffing. Top this with your low-fat cheese if you have to have cheese (I DO!!) To add MORE green to this dish, I put a small bed of trimmed baby spinach on my plate before plating then took some of the sauce that had pooled around the zucchini and poured it over the spinach, wilting it slightly. Then I placed the zucchini boat on top of the spinach. You couldn't even taste it really and it added that extra iron and vitamins.


****Disclaimer:  I am NOT a trained nutritionist nor a dietician (but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn last night *giggle) so PLEASE before starting any D word or healthy eating plan, consult your physician!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment