Sunday, August 5, 2012

Summertime......and the livin' is eeeaaasssyy. Right!? Try this BBQ Chicken Salad!

Silver City, NM

I find that it seems to be a little easier to eat better during the summer. There is an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables and nice weather to get out and go do the things you like to do! However, I live in the desert southwest and there are days when I feel like I am living on the face of the sun:/ It's on those days that the only thing that even sounds good is fresh fruit and cool drinks. You can still do bbq's and picnics and eat sensibly. I tried a new recipe today for lunch that would work perfectly at a BBQ as a salad, a side-dish or even as a sandwich, which is how I enjoyed it. I was really impressed at how good this was and how "summer-y" it tasted. My husband, however, looked at me with a critical eye....oh well, he ate it:)

BBQ Chicken Salad


  •  4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
  • 4 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 1 large red pepper, diced
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 can sweet corn, drained well
  • 1/4 C. of your fav. bbq sauce ( I used Sweet Baby Rays)
  • 2 Tbsp fat-free mayo
~Grill or boil chicken until done. Let cool and then cut into cubes. 



In a large bowl, toss together chicken, celery, pepper, onion and corn.  (Look at that adorable bear cutting board my Mother-in-law brought me back from Montana....Bless her heart! I ♥ Bears!)



In a smaller bowl mix together bbq sauce and mayo and pour over chicken mixture.



Stir, chill for at least 2 hours and serve. ~allrecipes.com~

Nutritional Information
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 168
  • Total Fat: 2.2g
  • Cholesterol: 34mg
  • Sodium: 473mg
  • Total Carbs: 23.6g
  • Dietary Fiber: 2.9g
  • Protein: 14.7g

Ladies, you don't always have to make recipes exactly as written.  Half of the fun of cooking is trying different things and changing up the ingredients and hopefully coming up with something even better than the original! I ate this salad on a honey wheat pita, but would be just as good, and have less carbs if served in a lettuce wrap or just by itself.

**I had a friend tell me about a site that is an excellent companion when trying to lose weight. It's called http://loseit.com/.  You create an account, state a goal weight, and it sets up an individualized plan for you. There are comprehensive food lists, exercise counters, downloadable spread sheets and even a mobile app. I love this site! Check it out!:)




No comments:

Post a Comment