Saturday, August 11, 2012

Christmas in August?!? Yes Ma'am!








Why is it that every year at this time, I get a strange yearning for the Christmas season?? I dream about what decorations I'm going to buy, how many varieties of cookies and candies I'm going to make, snow, sparkle, Jolly Saint Nick, and it goes on and on! Then, by the time the season actually rolls around, I feel like bursting into flames if I hear one more carol, seasons greetings, or have to wrap another stupid gift!!

For a lot of people, the holidays can be a very depressing, lonely time. Loss of a loved one, lack of close family, or little money to spend, can lead to much sorrow.

Its easy to get caught up in all of the glitz and celebration, when what we need to focus on is the true meaning of Christmas! Even for those who may not celebrate the traditional Christian meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Saviour, everyone can decide to celebrate a time of giving, kindness and love.

I am going to try and make most of my gifts this year and to do this, I am going to need to plan ahead (enter screaming here). There are so may cute ideas out there and I am on a quest to find them:) Some of them may include foods that I particularly shouldn't indulge in, but "everything in moderation", right? (I can hear my mother's voice in my head as I type...hehe)

Here is a cute S'mores gift jar that looks cute, is easy to make and could be made in bulk to give to multiple family members:

http://pinterest.com/pin/172122016979454087/
Source: pauladeen.com via Darcy on Pinterest

......and they look like they would taste absolutely delightful!

Maybe if we focus more on giving what we can, instead of giving what is expected, we would derive so much more joy from this season. People will appreciate the time and thought that went into the making of their gift, rather than something picked up at the last minute and without any thought. That being said:
Dear sister Sara, this does not mean that I do not want the Sam's club membership you said you would get me for Christmas. It will come in handy as I move back to a more populated area. Thank you. ;-)

If you want to check out more of my Christmas pins on Pinterest, along with more of my tastes and like, you can follow me at http://pinterest.com/pinosaltoslady/

One of my favorite cool weather and holiday treats is my Mom's homemade hot cocoa.....so creamy and chocolaty and delicious! I have asked her if I can share her recipe, and she has obliged:) Thank you, Mom!

photo courtesy of womansday.com

  • 1 8 qt. box or 10 1/3 C. Carnation Dry Milk
  • 1 lb container or 3 C. Nestle Quick Chocolate Mix
  • 1 6 ounce jar or 1 1/2 C. CoffeeMate powdered creamer (any flavor but french vanilla or plain are my fav)
  •  1/2 pound powdered sugar
Bring 6 oz. of water  to a boil. Add 1/3 C. of the cocoa mix to mug, pour in hot water and stir thoroughly. I know most mugs these days are larger, so you will need to adjust the amount of mix to taste. This also makes an excellent gift idea...put a portion of mix in a mason jar, with a ribbon and recipe or even in a cute Christmas tin. Be creative!
Mix all ingred. together and store in a large airtight container. This recipe makes a HUGE batch, so I included the amounts in cups as well, so you can halve the recipe if desired.

Over the next few months, I will post more crafty ideas as well as share some of the ones that I have made myself! Get ready gals.....times a ticking and I can almost hear the click, click, click of reindeer hooves.......









1 comment:

  1. It's good to start planning early; I always seem to run out of time.

    ReplyDelete