Tuesday, August 21, 2012

'Cause that's how I roll.........literally!

     Friday is my first weigh-in! How time flies when you're not doing as well as you should be! LOL But that's just me, I tend to wait until the last minute to do just about everything.
     I haven't actually attempted the "D" word for quite sometime, so weighing in may bring me a shock. I know the older you get, the harder it is to lose, so I'm praying that I wont be too disappointed with my results. I haven't been HORRIBLE but I haven't been as good as I have wanted either.


     I positively frightened the dog today by switching on some dance music and bouncing (literally) around the house, in an attempt to start getting active. I would dance as long as I could before I would get tired and then I would sit and still try to move as much as possible from the seated position. I figure it cant hurt; unless you had to watch me. I imagine I looked a little like a hippo having a seizure:/
     Why, oh why, do I have so little motivation?? Also, I can do really well with my eating for breakfast and lunch but for dinner and afterwards, I'm a train wreck. I feel like I cant get no...satisfaction. hehe.
     After my freakish workout, I did have a healthy lunch, consisting of romaine lettuce, artichoke hearts, turkey breast, cherry tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, sunflower seeds and croutons. Tasty, if I do say so myself but I realize that I will need a snack before dinner. So what would be a good mid-afternoon snack to keep away the hunger? Protein is good for that. I have a small bag of shelled pistachios in the cabinet.  It's good protein, takes time to shell so you don't scarf all the nuts at once, and they are yummy!


Other good sources for a protein snack would be: Greek yogurt, string cheese, a small handful of nuts, 2 oz of lean meat or even a hard boiled egg. Just be sure to watch your fat intake.

    I have been looking for healthier versions of my favorite foods and came across this taco recipe that uses ground turkey:

Tex-Mex Turkey Tacos

 Tex-Mex Turkey Tacos

I normally don't care for ground turkey, but I love the Southwestern flair of this well-seasoned taco meat mixed with peppers, onions and black beans. It's sure to be a hit at your house, too. —Jodi Fleury of West Gardiner, Maine
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 2 medium green peppers, chopped
  • 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 24 taco shells
  • 3 cups shredded lettuce
  • 1-1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions

  • In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey
  • over medium heat until no longer pink; remove and set aside. In the
  • same skillet, saute the peppers, onion, carrots and garlic in oil
  • for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  • Add the turkey, beans, salsa, chili powder and cumin; bring to a
  • boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until
  • thickened. Fill each taco shell with 1/3 cup turkey mixture. Serve
  • with lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro. Yield: 12 servings.
Click here to find out more!

Nutrition Facts: One serving (2 tacos) equals 297 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.


      


No comments:

Post a Comment