Thursday, August 9, 2012

Truth or Consequences, NM and Setting Attainable Goals





And now it's time for Truth or Consequences.......

Truth or Consequences, NM is actually a real town! Truth or Consequences is a spa city and the county seat of Sierra County, New Mexico, United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,475. It is commonly known within New Mexico as T or C.
Originally named Hot Springs, the city changed it's name to Truth or Consequences, the title of a popular NBC radio program. In 1950, Ralph Edwards, the host of the radio quiz show Truth or Consequences, announced that he would air the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show. Hot Springs won the honor. Edwards visited the town during the first weekend of May for the next fifty years. This event was called "Fiesta" and included a beauty contest, a parade, and a stage show. The city still celebrates Fiesta each year on the first weekend of May. The parade generally features area celebrities such as the Hatch Chile Queen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

To stick with my policy of being accountable, I will sadly share my eating and vice FAILS of the last few days :(

The night of our Mastiff's passing, I tried to stick to my normal healthy eating patterns. My brain said "you know what you need to do" but my heart and stomach said "eat that Frozen Turtle Cream Pie, woman!" Damn, those hearts and stomachs are convincing!:/ I only ate one piece of pie, but the next day indulged in some chocolate Gelato and bought a pack of cigarettes. Did it make me feel any better? Honestly, it tasted good on my lips but it hit my guilt button BADLY. The thoughts going through my mind were...."See? You cant even go a few days without screwing up!" and "You have no will power!" and my favorite, "You will never reach your goal at this rate" UGH!

WHY are we so hard on ourselves?? Is it reasonable to have some slip-ups when hard times bestow us? The answer is yes. We are human, not robots and thank goodness, each new day starts blank and ready to be conquered. So I ate some things I shouldn't have....let's look at some of the positive things I have done the last few days. With better eating habits and a tweaking of my insulin, my fasting blood sugar has gone from 388 to 235 in just a little over a week. I still have a ways to go but I am tickled pink with the progress. I have also sheered many, many daily calories from my diet. I'm still using the www.loseit.com website and LOVING it!




I had a doctor's appointment on August 1st. I needed a refill on my meds. It seems like lately this is the only way I make it to the doctor:/ This time, when I stood on that scale, it made me realize that things have gotten WAY out of control. How many more times am I going to get on that scale showing a greater number each time and then ignore it? Along with my diabetes and ever growing girth, I might as well dig a hole and strap some banana peels to my shoes!

A couple of days afterwards, I made the decision to make the necessary changes to start living a new and healthier lifestyle.


My starting weight was _______. Yeah, I'm not ready to release such sensitive information. If I told you, I may have to kill you...hehe ;-)


I made an appointment to go back to the doctor in 3 weeks to go over the labs that I had taken at the first visit. I made a goal of losing at least 10 lbs by that next visit. Is this an attainable goal? For me, I say, YES! Larger people usually lose weight more quickly at first and a lot of that first weight that is lost, tends to be water. P.S. Don't forget to drink at least 64 oz. of water each day. I need to work on that myself!


Darcy's Bottom Bin Veggie Casserole

Tonight, I needed something quick to throw together for dinner. I was running out of fresh veggies, so I opened up the veggie bins and grabbed what I had left and decided to change up a few recipes Ive seen and make them into something new! Here's what I came up with:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 Stouffers Spinach Souffle, defrosted
2 C. instant brown rice, cooked
1/2 C. chopped red onion
1/2 C. chopped roasted red bell pepper
3/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 C. diced celery
1/2 C. shredded carrots
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
1/2 C. shredded colby jack cheese
1 C. chicken broth
1 1/4 C evaporated milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Topping

1 C. fresh, soft bread crumbs
2 Tbsp light margarine
1/4 C shredded pepperjack cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Defrost the souffle by microwaving it on 50% power for 6 minutes. In a large mixing bowl combine all ingred. except for the topping ingred. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and pour in the mixture. Bake for 35 - 40 min until golden bubbly. In small microwavable bowl, melt butter. Add bread crumbs and cheese and toss. Sprinkle topping mixture on casserole and return to oven for 5-10 min.

For crap I just threw together, it was pretty decent! LOL Its packed with veggies, doesn't have the cream soups that a lot of casseroles have and even my 17 yr old son ate it(and had seconds *GASP*)! Hooray! Victory is mine! hehe. I was in a hurry when I made and completely forgot to take any pictures, but I promise to do better next time:)

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Thomas Jefferson





No comments:

Post a Comment