Monday, August 6, 2012

GREEN CHILE GREEN CHILE GREEN CHILE GREEN CHILE GREEN CHILE GREEN CHILE GREEN CHILE!!!


Did I mention that I LOVE green chile?? For the next couple of weeks, you will hear me talk a lot about the marvelous "GREEN CHILE" (insert harp sound here). What is so fabulous about the New Mexico green chile you ask? Well, just about everything!

The usual green chile season begins in early August and lasts through mid September. For those of you unfamiliar with this type of pepper, it NOT a green bell pepper, nor a jalapeno. This long, light green pepper comes in several varieties and levels of heat but what makes it special is where it is grown. All of New Mexico chile is good, but HATCH, NM Chile is to die for!

courtesy: pichippo.com


My husband introduced me to the green chile back in 1999 while we were dating. On a trip to NM from IL (my home state), we stopped outside of Socorro, NM at The Owl Cafe. He ordered us green chile cheeseburgers and green chile cheese fries.  Oh, Momma!! After the first couple of bites my mouth and lips began to burn, my nose started to run, I was weeping uncontrollably, and sweat began to appear from places that I didn't even know you could sweat!  I frantically motioned to the waitress to bring me another glass of water or hell, bring me a bucket! She obliged but also brought a glass of milk and a few saltines, which tamed the heat slightly. As she walked away I swear I heard her say "Silly Gringo" under her breath...LOL

I will be sharing some of my favorite Mexican dishes that feature the green chile while also trying to make them healthier.

Chile Relleno photo courtesy: mexicanfood.about.com




No comments:

Post a Comment